Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Thought Of The Day: Be Prepared

An alternate title to this could be "Don't Be An Idiot Like Me."

I drove 15 minutes up the road to photograph something. I quickly located what I wanted to photograph and the lighting was perfect. I got my Pentax K-x DSLR set, composed the image in the viewfinder and pressed the shutter-release-button.

Click.

I looked at the LCD screen and, to my disbelief, this message was displayed:

No Card In The Camera.

What?!

I knew right away that the memory card was in the computer at home. I searched the camera bag for the spare SD card, but it wasn't there.

And I only brought one camera.

There was not enough time to get the memory card and return before the lighting disappeared. I was out of luck.

The lesson to be learned from my mistake is to always be prepared. Have a camera with you where ever you go--two cameras if you know you will be photographing. Double check to make sure you have film or memory cards. Be sure the camera is charged or you have spare batteries.

A little extra attention before you depart can save you from a lot of frustration at your destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment