Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Thought Of The Day: Feeling Inspiration

Every so often, I just don't feel like photographing. It's not that I don't want to pull out the camera, because deep inside I really do. I just don't feel inspired.

Christmas Star - Tehachapi, California
Taken on 1/1/2012 using a Nikon S8100
Two days ago was one of those days. I had plenty of opportunity to create photographs, but nothing seemed worthy of my time and attention. I was anything but inspired.

Faucet and Lights - Tehachapi, California
Taken on 1/1/2012 using a Nikon S8100
One thing I have learned is that on those days when you feel like photographing the least, that is when you  most need to pull out a camera and begin making photographs. Force yourself to feel inspired.

Christmas Star #2 - Tehachapi, California
This is the same as the top photograph, except I inverted the image (made a "negative") and adjusted the color curves in post-processing.
It's a difficult approach, because you're making yourself do something that you don't want to. No, it's easier and more comfortable to just leave the camera in the bag. However, what I have found is that after forcing myself to work through my lack of creativity, I come away with renewed vision.

Unopened Lithium - Tehachapi, California
Taken on 1/1/2012 using a Nikon S8100
The alternative is to wait until inspiration slaps you in the face and wakes you up. My experience is that this might come tomorrow, or it might wait for more than a year to find you. That's a big risk.

Metal Shelf - Tehachapi, California
Taken on 1/1/2012 using a Nikon S8100
Besides, it should be a goal of yours to photograph every day. It's a goal of mine, anyway. Each time one photographs there is something to be learned. That means the more one uses his or her camera, the better of a photographer that person will become. Don't let a lack of inspiration keep you from becoming a better photographer!

Christmas Star #3 - Tehachapi, California
This is the same as the top photograph, except I applied a stipple "ink" effect in post-processing. The differences are subtle, but there are differences.
The above photographs were taken on that uninspired day. It was already late--the sun had been down for a while--and I had not taken a single photograph. Nor had I felt the urge to take a single photograph. I pulled out a digital point-and-shoot and walked around the house for 10 minutes. I forced myself to look for designs in interesting light. These images are what I found.

No comments:

Post a Comment