Sunday, March 4, 2012

Thought Of The Day: Don't Cliché

As I was driving down the highway today, I saw a cliché.

A photographer was doing a high school senior's photo shoot. The location of choice? The railroad tracks, of course!

I'm sure it was an original idea many years ago, but in 2012 it has been done over and over and over and over.

I'm not trying to suggest that I've never been cliché before, because I most certainly have. My wife is good at pointing it out to me. Once you recognize that something has been done too many times, it's time to give it up and try something new.

Be original as often as you can. Use your imagination!

Don't cliché.

Update:

Someone asked if I could share an example of a high school senior photo shoot that wasn't cliché.

Well, here are some photographs from one I did not that long ago:

Christina #1 - Keyesville, California
Christina #2 - Keyesville, California
Christina #3 - Keyesville, California
Christina #4 - Keyesville, California
Christina #5 - Keyesville, California
Christina #6 - Keyesville, California
Christina #7 - Keyesville, California
I took Christina to two locations: an historic home from the mid-1800's and the nearby Kern River. Both gave as an interesting scene to work with.

Now I have not photographed many seniors and perhaps these images aren't the most innovative. But I didn't want them to be cliché, and I don't think they are.



No comments:

Post a Comment