Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Color Inspiration

I was feeling the urge yesterday to grab my Samsung NX200 and photograph something, but I was low on inspiration. I was unsure of what I wanted to photograph. For an artist that is frustrating--like writer's block to an author--and something I've learned needs to be overcome quickly.
Green And Orange Grass - Tehachapi, California
Around noon I looked out the window into the back yard and noticed some orange paper "grass" (that had fallen out from my son's Easter basket) lying on the lawn. Orange and green are contrasting colors (not as strong as red and green, but contrasting nonetheless), and immediately knew I needed to grab the camera. I needed to capture color.
Inside Of An Orange Poppy - Tehachapi, California
I cropped about 7/8ths of this image out. I had something completely different in mind when I opened the shutter, but it just didn't look right. Because of the great resolution of the NX200, I was able to throw most of this photograph away and still have a good-looking image fine for an 8" x 12" print. 
After photographing the grass, I went out the front door in search of color. I kept an eye out for both vibrant colors and color contrasts. The first thing I found was an orange poppy in bloom. Not long later I found an old highlighting pen. These objects would stoke the creative process.
Replaces Underlining - Tehachapi, California
I found this old highlighting pen on the ground. By placing it on the ledge of a blue dumpster I created color contrast.
These first four photographs (the three above and the one below) were all captured while in my yard. Sometimes you don't have to go far to find something interesting to photograph. Often we miss the things that are right under our noses because they seem mundane or insignificant.
Red Wood - Tehachapi, California
I liked the vibrant red, but what caught my interest the most were the textures.
I made my way around the block. While I was specifically looking for color, I was struck by an old VW Beetle with a cross hanging on the mirror, and I knew this would be a great black-and-white image. It turned out to be my favorite photograph from the entire exercise! The lesson in this is when you are photographing something, keep an eye out for other things that may be worth capturing.
VW And Jesus - Tehachapi, California
I converted this to black-and-white because color was not important to the image. I toned it using Paint.NET.
As it turns out, vibrant colors and color contrasts don't occur everywhere. I found a number of flowers that were behind people's fences, which I couldn't get to without trespassing. I just didn't have much luck the remainder of the block. What was important, though, is that I was no longer in a slump. I had a renewed vision.
Grass, Wood Fence - Tehachapi, California
The point of this post is that sometimes you need inspiration, and sometimes that inspiration is found right where you are at. Don't forget to stop and take a look around. Try to find the beauty in the simple, small and ordinary.
Blue, Standing Tall - Tehachapi, California
I composed this image so the tall grass at the top would arch over the flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment