Monday, April 16, 2012

Thought Of The Day: Refocus

My wife suggested that I refocus my photography. When she gives me feedback, she's usually spot-on. She said my photographs are all over the place. She likes them and thinks they're great, but she has a hard time picking up on direction.

Direction is important in photography. If you don't know where you are going you'll never reach where it is you want to go.

Photography is non-verbal communication. Your images must say something to be successful. Your photographs are even stronger if they communicate something together. You could equate each photograph to a paragraph of words. Does each paragraph build on the last? Together do they make a novel? Or is it a bunch of jumbled nonsense?

Having direction means having vision. It's knowing what images I want to create and figuring out how to accomplish that. It's a refining process, figuring out how to better do what I've been doing.

I have to be more selective and more purposeful with my photographs.

Refocus. Direction. Vision. Refine. Those are buzzwords, but it's exactly what I need to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment