Saturday, July 21, 2012

War Photographs: The Untold Story Of Plastic Army Men, Part 1

This series of photographs were inspired by a recent trip to San Diego, California. I found three plastic army men on the beach and began photographing them. After returning home, I purchased a bucket of little plastic soldiers, so that I could continue this photographic project.

I've always been intrigued by war photographs, but I've never had the guts to be in the thick of it myself. I've got a lot of respect for those brave (stupid? It's a fine line...) artists that risk their lives to get the shot.

With these cheap toys, I'm able to make my own "war photographs" without ever putting myself in harm's way. And there is commentary in the plastic and toy aspects of these images. I have so much respect for the men and woman that serve in the armed forces. I question the leadership and decisions of those that sit in their comfortable Washington D.C. chairs. It's a tough position that they find themselves in sometimes.

All of these were captured with a Pentax K-x yesterday at a local park and around the house.
Cleared Hot! - Tehachapi, California
Aim High Shadow - Tehachapi, California
Against The Wall - Tehachapi, California
Shadow Mortar - Tehachapi, California
Guard Duty - Tehachapi, California
Men Of Ashes - Tehachapi, California
Morning Light Fight - Tehachapi, California
Gunman Shadow - Tehachapi, California

No comments:

Post a Comment