Monday, September 24, 2012

NFL Replacement Officiating

This is a photography blog, and I try to stay on-topic. But after watching tonight's game between the Seattle Seahawks and the Green Bay Packers, I just have to say something.

Forgive me if you are not a football fan.

The National Football League should absolutely be embarrassed. I understand that they feel the referees are asking for too much, and maybe they are. And the replacement referees got thrown into the fire. But on such a big stage they should not tolerate what NFL football has become.

When the outcome of games are being decided by the performance of the referees, it is completely out of hand.

Take the Sunday Night Football game yesterday between the Ravens and the Patriots. That is the second worst officiated game I have ever seen. There were tons and tons of bad calls, with flags thrown that should not have been and flags not thrown that should have been. The bad calls effected both teams, but when you review the game and the timing of the bad calls, I believe it effected the Patriots more than the Ravens. And when a game comes down to a last-second field goal (which may or may not have actually been good), it means that those bad calls most likely changed the outcome.

And tonight's Monday Night Football game--the worst officiated game that I have ever seen--the Packers absolutely won that game, except the replacement referees gave it to the Seahawks instead. It was absolutely embarrassing. It was a joke. The NFL should hang its head in shame.

Those are two big stages back-to-back that clearly show why the NFL should bring back the regular referees--and before the game is completely soured. How can they stand for this? They shouldn't, and I hope they do not.

At this point I doubt that I'll watch another NFL game until they take care of this issue. I'm not calling for a boycott, but simply stating that there is a bad taste in my mouth from watching those two games. I am sure that I'm not the only one who feels this way.

The NFL needs to get its act together soon and bring back the regular referees.

No comments:

Post a Comment