Thursday, September 27, 2012

Pentax K-30 Initial Observations

My camera bag was stolen almost three weeks ago. It had two cameras plus a bunch of other stuff in it. Thankfully, my home insurance policy covered the theft.

One camera that was stolen was my Pentax K-x DSLR. The insurance company replaced that with a brand new Pentax K-30 DSLR, which arrived by UPS yesterday afternoon.
Yearning For Life - Tehachapi, California
By the time I got the battery fully charged the sun was low to the horizon. I had about 10 minutes of sunlight left, so I went out and captured a few photographs just to see what the images would look like.

Here are my initial observations:

The camera looks and feels solid and rugged. In reality, the look and feel of a camera is unimportant. The image is what matters. If a camera looks and feels like junk but captures images in an amazing way, I'd prefer that over one that looks and feels great but captures images in a ho-hum way. Best case scenario is a camera that looks and feels solid but also has great image quality.
Another Brick In The Wall - Tehachapi, California
The K-30's user interface is 90% the same as the K-x, so setting up and operating the camera came quickly and naturally. One area where Pentax excels is designing easy-to-use cameras that get out of the way of the photographs. Almost every adjustment is a one or two step process, and very little is buried deep in the menus.

The pentaprism viewfinder is fantastic! All DSLRs should have one.
Negative Flowers - Tehachapi, California
The handful of photographs that I captured (all saved as JPEGs, I have yet to try RAW) look great. While the differences are very minor, with the K-30 I right away noticed a larger dynamic range, better noise control and sharper images than with the K-x. I'm not sure if the images are sharper because of a better kit lens or a weaker anti-aliasing filter (or both). The light meter and auto-white-balance were spot on.  

The K-30 has a 16 megapixel APS-C sized sensor, which produces plenty of resolution for 99.5% of photographers. Most people don't need 16 megapixels. However, what extra resolution affords you is more cropping or bigger enlargements (or both).
Step - Tehachapi, California
I've only just begun to use the Pentax K-30, but so far I'm impressed. This camera most certainly could be (and will be) used for professional photography.

I will have a full review in a couple of weeks.



No comments:

Post a Comment