Monday, October 1, 2012

Pentax K-30 -- Thoughts On Editing Photographs In-Camera

I played around with my brand new Pentax K-30 DSLR two days ago. I haven't used the camera for anything serious yet--I'm still figuring out how I want all of the settings and working on getting comfortable with the controls. It will take about a week of good use to figure everything out.
Trees in the Morning Mountains - Tehachapi, California
One great thing that Pentax does with their DSLRs is include tons and tons of post-processing options right in the camera. With my old Pentax K-x DSLR, I decided that post-processing my photographs using a computer (instead of the camera) was typically faster and usually produced better results. However, when you are not near a computer and you need to edit your photographs, the software built into the camera does just fine and really comes in handy. In a pinch it can be a lifesaver.
Orange Leaf, Blue Sky - Tehachapi, California
After playing around with the K-30, it appears that Pentax has improved the post-processing features, and there are more options for editing. I can see relying on these features more than I did with the K-x.
Camp Site #11 - Tehachapi, California
All of the photographs in this post were edited on-camera using the K-30's built-in software. With a few images I did do some small additional editing with software on my computer, but nothing major.
Goodyear Tire - Bodfish, California
If you are not near a computer or if you don't own a computer or photo editing software, the Pentax K-30 gives you the ability to polish your images and be creative. This could be really important, depending on your situation.
Ax Blade - Bodfish, California
The image below was a thoughtless snap. I was testing the camera's "filters" for black-and-white images. For this photograph I chose a red filter. It actually looks more like an orange filter, but the results are pleasing enough. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, then you've never used black-and-white film. And if you have used black-and-white film, you know that this photograph would look much better if I had used film instead of digital capture.
Partly Cloudy - Bodfish, California
The image below was set to something called "reversal film" which is supposed to make the photograph look something like slide film (although it doesn't explain which slide film...). If it looked like Fuji Velvia I'd be very happy. Heck, if it looked like Ektachrome E100VS I'd be happy. It doesn't look like either, but it also doesn't look terrible. I'm not sure if I'd use this setting again or not.
Hill Over Bodfish - Bodfish, California
The K-30 also has a cross-process setting that must be selected prior to capturing the image in order to use it (in other words, it cannot be applied later). There are four choices for this effect--three that are OK at best, and random. With random selected, the camera produces a cross-process effect that may be (actually, usually is) different than the three pre-loaded effects. Most of these are also OK at best, but a few are actually decent. Once you find one you like, you can save the effect (you can save up to three) for use later.
Purple Hill Over Bodfish - Bodfish, California
The above image was captured using the random cross-process feature (which I saved for possible use later). I like how it turned the sky a darker blue and turned the green into purple. When I did some actual cross-processing back in the days of film, it was results like this that you'd hope for. It's not something you'd want to do with every photograph, but, used carefully and sparingly, it can give your images added interest. 




No comments:

Post a Comment