Sunday, November 11, 2012

Why Your Photography Should Be On Pinterest

I've been looking for a new social media to put my photographs on since Snapixel.com shut down a couple months ago. I looked at several different options before deciding on Pinterest.

Why Pinterest? Isn't that for sharing recipes and holiday decor ideas? Well, yes, it is for sharing those things, but there is so much more to it than that.

Pinterest is a way to share your interests. You "pin" things you like onto "boards" (into folders) that people can follow. Those that are following your boards will see what you have pinned in their news feed. Likewise, you'll see the pins of those that you are following in your news feed. The things you pin can be original content or links to other's content. 

Why You Should Be On Pinterest
The first reason you want to be on Pinterest is self-promotion. I began my profile just a few days ago, and, from pinning some of my Blog posts, I've already seen an increase in traffic to my Blog. Pinterest is a good way to guide traffic to blogs and websites.

It's not just bringing traffic to my Blog, but attention to myself. As people view my photographs, I gain exposure and create name-recognition. I'm building my reputation.

Even more, at some point I will gain actual business from my content on Pinterest. Someone will see something they like and will want to use my services. How do I know this? Because it has happened with Facebook and my Blog, so it stands to reason that it will also happen with Pinterest.

Another reason to be on Pinterest is inspiration. There are many amazing photographs pinned, and a number of great photographers uploading their own images. 

You can use the search or browse features to find these inspirational photographs. Or, better yet, you can follow someone else's board that features a collection of these photographs (let them do the work for you). I have a board like this called "Photographs That I Like." Another similar board that I have is "A Picture Is Worth 1,000 Words" and it contains my original images.

And one more good reason to be on Pinterest is helpful advice. There are many useful tips and ideas on Pinterest that I would never have thought of myself. Someone else not only thought of it, but they were kind enough to share it. If you can find even one good tip that helps you in some way, it will have been worth your time signing up. 

Pinterest is a good community for photographers because you can promote yourself, gain inspiration from others, and learn something new. 

No comments:

Post a Comment