Thursday, January 3, 2013

My Photography Year In Review - 2012 - Part 1

Tree Trunk - Tehachapi, California
Captured on January 18th.
2012 was an interesting year for my photography. There were plenty of ups and downs (thankfully, more "ups" than "downs"), and lots of growth.
Picket Fence And Wall - Tehachapi, California
Captured on January 28th.
Wires, Clouds - Tehachapi, California
Captured on February 3rd.
It's good to take a look back every once in a while to see how far you've come. Sometime progress is hard to measure until you've gone some distance. Henri Cartier-Bresson said, "Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." I'd like to add that your next 10,000 photographs are your second worst.
Boat And Rock - Morro Bay, California
Captured on February 10th.
Joshua Tree Sunrise - Rosamond, California
Captured on February 21st.
I started out 2012 using a Pentax K-x DSLR. This was my very first digital camera (having worked exclusively with film prior to this), and I enjoyed using it. However, a trip to Morro Bay in early February would change not only my equipment, but my ideas about equipment, as well.
Cold Spot - Tehachapi, California
Captured on February 27th.
Two Saguaros And Moon - Goodyear, Arizona
Captured on March 15th.
My Pentax K-x got sand on the sensor after changing lenses near the beach, rendering it barely useable. My wife had her point-and-shoot Nikon S8100 with her and it certainly came in handy. The S8100 produced surprisingly good results, and it demonstrated that equipment isn't nearly as important as many people think. The photographer is more important than the camera.
African Daisy - Anaheim California
Captured on March 24th.
California Sunset - Stallion Springs, California
Captured on April 17th.
I also got a new cell phone around this time that proved to be a valuable photographic tool. Suddenly, my primary cameras were a cheap point-and-shoot and a cell phone! I discovered the truth in Ansel Adam's statement, "The single most important component of a camera is the 12 inches behind it."
Prickly Pear Blossom - Goodyear, Arizona
Captured on April 20th.
Sisters - Surprise, Arizona
Captured on April 21st.
In March I purchased a Samsung NX200 compact interchangeable-lens camera. I only mention this because it will be important later. Around this time I also got a permanent space in an art gallery in Tehachapi. Things were looking up.
Shadows On Brick - Goodyear, Arizona
Captured on April 21st.
The Road Home - Tehachapi, California
Captured on May 21st.
If you are constantly pushing yourself to be a better photographer, about every four months you can look back and notice that your art has indeed improved. I can look at the images I captured at the beginning of January and compare them to those captured at the end of March, and there is a noticeable improvement in creativity and execution. The same thing is true when comparing those images captured in March and April and those captured in August. And again comparing those images captured in late summer and those I've recently captured.
Steadfast Movement - Mojave, California
Captured on May 22nd
Dandelion Sunset - Stallion Springs, California
Captured on May 23rd.
If you are not moving forward, you are moving backwards. There is no standing still because everything is constantly changing. Technologies change, trends change, tastes change, landscapes change, arts change. To be relevant, you must constantly push yourself to be better.
Summer Mow - Tehachapi, California
Captured on May 24th.
Wheat Grass - Tehachapi, California
Captured on May 24th.

I tackled a few photography projects in 2012. One was War Photographs: The Untold Story of Plastic Army Men. I self-published a short hard-cover book with these photographs. While I haven't revisited this in several months, I do not consider this project to be complete. Another project was the abandoned George Air Force Base housing in Victorville, California. Again, I haven't done anything with this in a while, even though I don't believe I'm finished with it yet. A third project that I'm currently busy with is multiple-exposure images.
Broken Window Shadow - Victorville, California
Captured on June 22nd.
Cinder Blocks - Victorville, California
Captured on June 22nd.
I encountered a setback in early September when I had my digital cameras stolen from my car while on a trip to Scottsdale, Arizona. Thankfully, my home-owner's insurance policy covered the theft. I was able to replace my Samsung NX200 with a Samsung NX210 and I replaced my Pentax K-x with a Pentax K-30 DSLR.
Old Life, New Life - Victorville, California
Captured on June 22nd.
Ghost On The Water - Lake Isabella, California
Captured on July 4th.
Around this time the art gallery in town that had some of my photographs on their wall closed down. But just as those doors closed, some new doors opened and I was able to move my images literally across the street to a new gallery.
X - Mojave, California
Captured on July 5th.
Storming The Beach At Dawn - San Diego, California
Captured on July 16th.
This Blog has seen a lot of growth in traffic from January 1st through December 31st. There are five times more daily page views now than one year ago. I suspect that growth will continue through 2013 as I write relevant articles for you to read.
Faith In The Sand - San Diego, California
Captured on July 17th.
Wrong Way Alley - San Diego, California
Captured on July 18th.
The photographs here in this post are some of my favorites from the first half(-ish) of last year. There are many others that could have been selected, as well. I wish I could share more, but I don't want this post to be too long. Check back soon for Part 2, which will contain images from the second half of 2012.
Endless Summer Dream - San Diego, California
Captured on July 18th.
Morning Lookout - Tehachapi, California
Captured on July 24th.
I hope that 2012 was a good year for you and that 2013 will be even better.

Part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment