Friday, February 8, 2013

Photographing Seven Brand New GE C45ACCTE Locomotives (Industrial Photographs)

It's not every day that the Union Pacific Railroad parks seven brand-new locomotives close to your house. I have no idea why the railroad parked these (what appeared to be) never-before-used bright-yellow locomotives on a small spur track in Tehachapi, California. But they did. And, I, of course, photographed them.

I did not want to create typical railroad photographs. I set out to capture the design of the locomotives. I wanted to show the details of the piping, tubes, bolts, etc. I wanted industrial images.

The photographs that I made closely resemble "steam punk." The irony is that these are brand-new General Electric C45ACCTE diesel locomotives, not steam engines.

It's important to have vision, and not just snap away. If I had snapped thoughtless pictures, I would have very ordinary results. Instead, I created interesting photographs that show form.

Equipment isn't important, but I did capture these using a Pentax K-30 DSLR, in case you were interested. I converted most of the images to black-and-white because color wasn't important to those images.

Not more than 10 minutes after I had finished photographing the locomotives, a single Union Pacific locomotive came down the track, pulled itself into the spur, coupled to the other locomotives, and off westbound they went. I finished just in time!
China? - Tehachapi, California
Three Hose Couplings - Tehachapi, California
Chain Linked - Tehachapi, California
Device Design - Tehachapi, California
Gas Cap - Tehachapi, California
Shapes - Tehachapi, California
Train Nut - Tehachapi, California
Pipe Safety - Tehachapi, California
Metal Elbow - Tehachapi, California
Air Reservoirs - Tehachapi, California 
Spring - Tehachapi, California
Tank Bolt - Tehachapi, California
Eyelet - Tehachapi, California
Curves - Tehachapi, California
Two Bolts - Tehachapi, California
Auto Off - Tehachapi, California
Nut and Washer - Tehachapi, California
Clasped - Tehachapi, California
Tubing - Tehachapi, California
Three Tubes - Tehachapi, California
Pipe - Tehachapi, California
Spring Cushion - Tehachapi, California
+ - Tehachapi, California
Made In China - Tehachapi, California
Tubes - Tehachapi, California
Release Valve - Tehachapi, California
Dummy Notice - Tehachapi, California
Three Hoses - Tehachapi, California
Curved Tubes - Tehachapi, California
Rusty Wheel - Tehachapi, California 
TC Wheel - Tehachapi, California

No comments:

Post a Comment