Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Album Artwork: Dig Here, Said The Angel - Daniel Amos

A project that I've been working on over the last couple of days is album artwork for the rock band Daniel Amos. These photographs are for the possible use on their new album Dig Here, Said The Angel, which should be available in a couple of months.

The album title and the title song are inspired from the writings of Saint John of the Cross, who was a Spanish poet in the 16th century. He wrote, "'Dig here,' the angel said, 'in your soul, in your soul.'"

It has been a challenge to put a metaphoric concept into physical photographs. Pictures are literal, not figurative. So one has to use the literal to create something connotative. And that is what makes a project like this both difficult and rewarding.

I heavily relied on double exposures in order to make the images less literal. In some cases I created "ghosts" and in other cases I created shapes. I almost entirely relied on a shovel, but not always in a digging position.

The photographs can be placed into two basic categories: the journey and the destination. As I looked at the concept, these two ideas stood out. I wanted to focus my efforts there, creating photographs that show either the journey or the destination. The destination is different in most of the images because where exactly each person needs to metaphorically dig is a little different.

The Journey
Rocky Path
That Way
Pathway To The Soul
Field of the Heart
  
The Destination
Dig The Unknown 
My Heart Or My Grave?
Aged
Beneath The Tree
Beneath The Cross
Childlike Faith In Childhood's End
What Has Fallen
Dig Here
Dig Into My Heart

No comments:

Post a Comment