Thursday, March 28, 2013

Photographing Myself

I'm not the most photogenic person out there. I'd much rather be behind a camera than in front of it. But a few things recently have caused me to be the subject of my own images.
Pathway To The Soul - Tehachapi, California
The first case was back in December when I wanted family pictures, but didn't want to pay someone else to take them. The most recent case was artwork for an album. In the case of the album artwork, I could have paid a model or asked a friend, but it was just easier to do it myself.

A tripod is a must. If you don't own one, get one. You don't have to spend a bunch of money--any tripod, including used ones, will work.
Rocky Path - Tehachapi, California
I used two different camera settings to photograph myself. The camera's self-timer is the most obvious setting and the one that I used most often. But I also used Interval Shooting mode for some of the images (including Pathway To The Soul) with success.

All of this has inspired me to create a new series of images that you'll see here on this Blog over the next couple of months: A Photographer's Journey - Photojournal Self Portraits.
My Heart or My Grave?
This new project should be both challenging and rewarding--challenging both as a photographer and as a person. Like I said, I prefer to be behind a camera than in front of it. Changing my role will be uncomfortable and difficult at times. I think the end results will be worth the extra effort.

So stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment