Sunday, April 14, 2013

You Don't Need Photoshop

You don't need Photoshop. It's expensive. It's bulky. It takes a long time to learn. You simply don't need it.

There are free alternatives to Photoshop. My favorite is Paint.NET. With this software you can do layers and adjust curves. Find some free plugins and the possibilities are almost endless. 95% of photographers will find that Paint.NET can do everything that they need a photo editing software to do.
Roadway - Tehachapi, California
Post-processed using Paint.NET.
GIMP, another free photo editing software, is even more powerful than Paint.NET. Of the 5% that find they need more, 60% of those will discover that GIMP can do everything that they need.
Summer Mow - Tehachapi, California
Post-processed using GIMP.
In reality, only about 2% of photographers need Photoshop. Chances are you are in the 98% that don't.

Another free photo editing software that is surprisingly powerful is Picasa. It is not for everyone, but for those that just need something that is easy-to-use, this is it. I would bet that 50% of photographers would find that Picasa is all that they need.
Pathway To The Soul - Tehachapi, California
Post-processed using Picasa.
There are others, too, if you look around on the internet. And you can use them in combination, as well.

I believe there are two reasons that most photographers buy Photoshop instead of using these free programs. First, most don't know that free alternatives exist. It is mostly by word-of-mouth that Paint.NET and GIMP are discovered. Second, Photoshop and those that sell it have done a great marketing job, convincing people that they need it when they really don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment