Monday, June 3, 2013

An Idea Friend

It is a good idea to have an idea friend.

An idea friend is someone you tell your ideas to, and they give you feedback on whether the idea is dumb or great.

My wife is my idea friend. She is not a photographer. She's not really all that interested in art. But she knows a good idea when she hears one, and she also knows if I'm going off the deep end on something.
Train Derailment - Tehachapi, California
This photograph wouldn't have happened if not for my wife.
I'm working on an image for the Billabong Dream In Colour photography competition. I've come up with a bunch ideas. My wife has been invaluable to me in deciding which of those ideas are worth pursuing and which I should leave behind.

Vision is important in photography. I define photographic vision as a vivid and imaginative conception.  You have to see in your mind what you want to create prior to opening the shutter. Sometimes you have to have a plan.

An idea can seem good, but once put on paper or said out-loud it just doesn't sound good anymore. It is easy to overlook something critical when it is only in your mind. That is why it is a good idea to have an idea friend. While the feedback you get may not be what you want to hear, it is likely what you need to hear. And the final image can only be better because of it.

If you don't have an idea friend, at least write down your idea or say it out-loud to yourself. Think critically about it and see if there are ways that the idea can be improved.

No comments:

Post a Comment