Thursday, July 25, 2013

Peter Stackpole: Bridging The Bay

I saw this and found it interesting. Back in the 1930's, Peter Stackpole photographed the building of the Bay Bridge between San Francisco and Oakland. Currently those photographs are on exhibit at the Oakland Museum of California.
Quitting Time by Peter Stackpile via Oakland Museum of California
When I was a child I lived on Treasure Island under the Bay Bridge. I saw the massive structure every day, and often found myself in a car traveling across it. So perhaps that is why I'm drawn to Peter Stackpole's amazing images of the bridge's construction.

If you are in or near Oakland, I would suggest visiting the museum and seeing these photographs in person. If you are not, at least visit the website and check out the images there.

No comments:

Post a Comment