Friday, July 19, 2013

Samsung NX 50-200mm Lens - Initial Thoughts

I purchased a Samsung NX 50-200mm telephoto zoom lens (f4-5.6 ED OIS II) for my NX200, and it arrived yesterday in the mail. I took a stroll around my neighborhood last evening and captured a few images.

My first thought it is, while the lens is certainly beefy compared to the 18-55mm kit lens that came with the camera, it is fairly small and lightweight for what it is. I actually expected it to be bigger and heavier.

I was a bit disappointed with the auto focus. It was plenty quick, but not nearly as accurate as I had hoped. It seemed like more of a problem at 200mm than 50mm. Perhaps the compressed scene gives the camera some trouble. Thankfully I have no issues manually focusing a lens.

Speaking of focusing, the closest focus on the lens is about three feet at 50mm. I know this is not a macro lens, but three feet seems a little far. It would be nice if it could focus a little closer, but this isn't a huge deal for my intended use.

Sharpness was satisfactory. Contrast was perhaps a bit low, but nothing to be concerned with. I didn't notice much in the way of distortions. Chromatic aberrations seemed well controlled throughout the focal lengths.

Overall, my first impression is that this is a decent lens that will get much use. However, I only briefly used the lens once, so my impressions my change with time.

Here are the images that I captured yesterday evening using this lens (all hand-held):
Red Bridge - Tehachapi, California
Purple Thistle - Tehachapi, California
This is a pretty large crop, with about 2/3rds of the original capture removed.
Evening Oak - Tehachapi, California
Half Moon - Tehachapi, California
This was a massive crop, with about 4/5ths of the original capture removed.

No comments:

Post a Comment