Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Best Photographs Are On Planned Shoots

Not that long ago I published a post called Limitations Improve Art. In that post I said, "Limitations are blessings. If you want to improve your art, limit what you can use or do to create that art. Force yourself to be creative and innovative. Don't ever let your limitations (whether natural or self-imposed) get in the way of what you want to accomplish. Instead, let limitations be what drives you forward."

Sometimes it is easy to grab a camera and just drive or walk around until something catches the eye. No plans, no preconceived ideas, just whatever one finds of interest along the way is what one photographs. There is nothing wrong with this, and, in fact, I enjoy the adventure of it.
Two Ostrich - Tehachapi, California
But I find that my best photographs are often not captured during these adventures. I have noticed that my best work is often on a planned shoot or outing.

I think there are a few reasons for this. First, one has time to pre-plan and pre-visualize. I cannot say enough how important that is. Second, because you have a plan and goal, it's easier to avoid distractions. Finally, when you say that you are going to photograph a particular subject at a certain place and time, you are giving yourself limitations, which will improve the art.

Now I'm not suggesting that one should only do planned shoots and put the camera away at other times. But if you are not from time-to-time giving yourself the limitation of planned shoots or outings, I believe you are missing out on the blessing of the limitation.

No comments:

Post a Comment