Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Reminder Of What Is Important In Photography (Is It The Camera?)

I've been raving about the Sigma DP2 Merrill that I've had for a week now. In the right circumstances it is a great camera, and I can't say enough how impressed I am with it.

But am I losing sight of what's important? Is a great camera important? Does it even matter what camera I used to create an image?
Three Green Leaves - Tehachapi, California
Captured with a Sigma DP2M
Just as I was beginning to brag about the DP2M, I received a couple good reminders about what truly matters in photography.

First, an author friend of mine said, "I grew up being told, 'It's not the arrows, it's the indian.'" In other words, it's not the camera, it's the photographer that makes a photograph great.

Second, I saw some impressive photography by Joanna. Joanna's camera of choice? A cell phone. You'd never know looking at the images that they were not captured with a DSLR.

What is important in photography? Vision. The decisive moment. Being an artist. Cameras are way down at the bottom of the list, nowhere near the top.

So while a give many compliments to the DP2M camera, just remember that those compliments are meaningless. I must remember that, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment