Monday, August 12, 2013

Sigma DP2 Merrill For Travel Photography (Magic Mountain)

Super Heroes - Valencia, California 
I went to Magic Mountain this last weekend. It was a great opportunity to put the Sigma DP2 Merrill to the test prior to completing an upcoming full review. Some have said that the camera is a one-trick-pony that should only be used at ISO 100 and with a tripod. Is it really?

The reason that amusement parks are great opportunities to test cameras is because of the varied subjects and lighting situations that one will encounter throughout the park, throughout the day. One also gets to see how easy the camera is to use and how much trouble it is to carry.
Acme Coaster - Valencia, California
To my surprise the Sigma DP2 Merrill was a fantastic camera to bring with me. It was small enough and lightweight enough to comfortably carry around all day. Once you know how the camera works, adjustments are quick and easy. It does go through batteries like crazy, so I had to carry a spare.

I had no problems getting quality color images when using ISO 400, and I had no problems getting quality black-and-white images using ISO 800. I found that with a steady hand I was able to get sharp photographs with the shutter speed as slow as 1/25th of a second.
Orient Express - Valencia, California
There were no limitations I found with getting "the shot" while using the Sigma DP2 Merrill. The camera worked very well as a travel camera. It was much more pleasant than carrying around a bulky DSLR, no doubt about it.

Yes, the Sigma DP2 Merrill is not a perfect camera, but it is certainly much more than a one-trick-pony. It is a serious photography tool, yet I found it to be a great option for a day at the theme park.
Contrast Girl - Valencia, California
I wish that I could include all of the images here, but I cannot. The pages would never load if I did, or I'd have to reduce the images a whole bunch. I did add a number of them to my DP2 Merrill set of Flickr, so check that out.

No comments:

Post a Comment