Monday, September 23, 2013

Abandonment: Forgotten Home In Mojave

I love photographing abandoned places. I've captured the old George Air Force Base housing in Victorville, the Boss Hog Ranch near Tehachapi, the Silver Queen Mine in Mojave, an old burnt house in Tehachapi, and other places. It's a subject that I find myself coming back to again and again.

The latest is an old forgotten house near Mojave, California. I have no idea the story behind the home. It looks like no one has lived in it for at least 30 years. Much of the roof is gone, but the four outside walls are still intact. Some crows have moved in.

This house does not appear to have had running water (which I would think is a "must" in the hot desert) or plumbing. There is a small outhouse still somewhat intact not far away. My guess is that the home was occupied by mine workers from one of the many nearby mines, which are mostly now defunct.

Below are the images, in no particular order. I used a Sigma DP2 Merrill to capture these.
Shadow of the Past - Mojave, California
A Shadow - Mojave, California
Memories of a Sunny Day - Mojave, California
Look Up - Mojave, California
Exposed Frame - Mojave, California
A Broken Home - Mojave, California

No comments:

Post a Comment