Thursday, September 19, 2013

The Difference A Year Makes (A Quick Look Back)

Sometimes it is amazing to look back and see how so much has changed, so much has transpired, over the last year. I was thinking about this just this morning.

For example, one year ago the only digital camera I owned was a cell phone. That's because my fully-loaded camera bag was stolen out of my car. Thankfully, insurance came through and I was able to replace my cameras. Then later the stolen cameras were recovered and I was able to buy them back at a big discount.
A Joshua Tree Sunrise - Rosamond, California
Captured one year ago using a cell phone.
I went from having too few cameras to having too many. I recently downsized, simplified and improved my camera bag. One year ago I was wondering how long I'd be without a camera, or if the insurance company was even going to cover them. That's the difference a year can make.

One year ago today I published a short post about the Nikon D600 DSLR. It was a somewhat popular post about nothing, really. One year later one does not hear much about this camera. It's still excellent, but it is yesterday's (or last year's) news.

I look back at the photographs that I created one year ago, and I can see an improvement in my own photography skills. I know that next year I'll see an improvement over the photographs that I'm making now. A year makes a difference.

The Roesch Photography Blog has seen a traffic increase of about 30% since this time last year. That's pretty large! I expect it to grow over the next year, too.

I think it is good now-and-then to look back at where you've been. This helps gauge your progress and also helps to refocus on where you are going. A trip down memory lane can be quite good.

No comments:

Post a Comment