Thursday, November 21, 2013

Photographs Of The Sun

A Light In The Dark - Tehachapi, California
When I first began photography, I received all sorts of advice regarding how to take pictures. I was told about photography rules. The rule of thirds. Sunny 16. Keep the sun behind you. Many others, as well.

Photography rules allow the novice to get acceptable results. That's what they are there for. For the advanced photographer, photography rules should be disregarded. That is advice I had to learn on my own. I wish someone had told me that instead of the all these dumb rules.
Sunrise At Cadillac Ranch - Amarillo, Texas
I was told that I should keep the sun behind me. Perhaps not directly behind me, but at least behind and at an angle. Avoid pointing the camera directly at the sun. That advice did more harm than good.

While looking back at some of my photographs, which is something that I've done quite a bit of over the last year, I noticed that I've included the sun in a number of different images. The sun became a part of the subject and the point of the photographs. Those who gave me the bad advice would be shocked!
Setting Sun Soldier - Tehachapi, California
A bunch of different cameras were used to create these photographs, including a Pentax K-30, a Samsung NX200, a Samsung NX210, a Sigma DP2 Merrill, and others, such as a cell phone. It does not matter which are from which. I bet you cannot tell.

These images are in no particular order. I captured them over the last four years, although the majority are from the last two years.
Sunrise Over Vishnu Temple - Grand Canyon, Arizona
Three Green Leaves - Tehachapi, California
Look Up - Mojave, California
Four Windmills And Train - Tehachapi, California
Wheat Grass - Tehachapi, California
Sunset Oaks - Stallion Springs, California
Window And Wall - Mojave, California
Green Soldier - Tehachapi, California
Cameron Road - Tehachapi, California
Mojave Sunrise - Mojave, California
Willow - Stallion Springs, California
Summer Dream - Redlands, California
Glass Peaks - Victorville, California
Family At Sunset - Goodyear, Arizona
Bent Nail - Mojave, California
West - Tehachapi, California
Through The Rafters - Lancaster, California
The Joshua Tree Sunrise - Rosamond, California
Setting Sun On The Forgotten - Victorville, California
Four Old Fence Posts - Tehachapi, California
Evening Childhood - Tehachapi, California
Eyeglass Sunset - Tehachapi, California
On A Brighter Day - Tehachapi, California
Broken Home At Sunrise - Mojave, California
Ocean Sunset - Desert Center, California
Back Lit Tree In Autumn - Stallion Springs, California
At The Edge of Tomorrow - Stallion Springs, California
Desert Bush Sunrise - Rosamond, California
Golden Field - Tehachapi, California
Light From Above - Rosamond, California
Dandelion Sunset - Stallion Springs, California
Large Leaf - San Diego, California
Morning Light Fight - Tehachapi, California
Flight To The Sun - Phoenix, Arizona
Gas Station Sunset - Ehrenburg, Arizona
Melon Vine - Lake Isabella, California
Tracks To Sundown - Tehachapi, California
Morning Creosote - Mojave, California
Memories of a Sunny Day - Mojave, California
Morning Sun Over The Mojave Desert - Rosamond, California

No comments:

Post a Comment