Friday, February 28, 2014

Clouds & Trees

Uncertainty - Tehachapi, California
I can't remember who said this or what the exact quote was, but to paraphrase, "Great photographs have clouds." I remember hearing that while in one of the photography classes that I attended back in college. I'm not sure that I fully agree with the statement, but clouds can certainly add drama to a scene.

Photographer Darwin Wiggett said, "For me, the most memorable landscape photos almost always have a sky that is full of interest, and most often, that interest comes from clouds. Give me a weather forecast of mixed sun and cloud, and I am in photographic heaven."
One Tree - Tehachapi, California
I recently took a walk through the Tehachapi, California countryside. There was a mix of clouds and sun in the sky. The interaction between the trees and the sky struck me. Clouds are fluffy and formless, trees are strong and have a generally recognizable shape. I wanted to show that interaction through photographs.

Thankfully, I had my Sigma DP2 Merrill camera with me. The three photographs that you see here are what I captured on that walk.
Dormant Oak - Tehachapi, California

No comments:

Post a Comment