Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Oak Trees In Fog - Stallion Springs, California

Oak Tree In Fog #1 - Stallion Springs, California
Yesterday was a foggy day in Stallion Springs, California. For some people, fog means staying indoors where it is warm and safe. For me, fog means heading out with a camera.

Fog is great for photography because it adds a bit of mystery or uneasiness to an image. It also can hide distracting backgrounds. In the case of these photographs, it was a distracting background that I wanted hidden. The fog did just that, and the photographs are much stronger because of it.
Oak Tree In Fog #2 - Stallion Springs, California
Photographs captured in the fog are often flat with very little contrast. Post-processing is a must, and I had to increase the contrast quite a bit on these images. I also converted them to black-and-white because color was not important to them.

I used a Sigma DP2 Merrill to capture them. The camera gave me some trouble auto-focusing on the very-low-contrast scenes, so I switched to manual focus. For years and years I did not have an auto-focus camera, so manually focusing is no big deal to me.
Oak Tree In Fog #3 - Stallion Springs, California
Oak Tree In Fog #4 - Stallion Springs, California

No comments:

Post a Comment