Thursday, February 20, 2014

Reminder: Creativity Is More Important Than Equipment

Hanging Barbed Wire - Stallion Springs, California
Captured using a cell phone.
As I use my new cell phone to capture images, I'm reminded that creativity and the artist's vision are most important in photography. Equipment doesn't really matter all that much, in fact.

One can have all of the expensive cameras and lenses in the world, but if that person isn't creative with it, they're a snapshooter making boring images. On the other hand, if one has creativity, they can make works of art with some junk cameras and lenses.
Keep Out The Sun - Tehachapi, California
Captured using a cell phone.
Don't believe me?

To illustrate the first point, I'm sure you have heard, "I have a [place expensive Nikon or Canon DSLR here] and my pictures don't look anything like yours." I've heard that many times. The user has no photographic vision, so their photographs are lifeless.
Leaning Joshua - Rosamond, California
Captured using a cell phone.
To illustrate the second point, look at Chase Jarvis and his Best Camera project, or David Burnett and his cheap toy camera, or Michael Chrisman and his home made camera. What do they have in common? Creativity made great works of art despite the poor cameras used. I captured all of the images in this post over the last few days using a cell phone.

Don't worry about what equipment you do or do not own or what other people think of the equipment you have. Be creative with what you've got and you'll surprise everyone, including yourself.
Night Industrial - Palmdale, California
Captured using a cell phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment