Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Where Does The Nokia Lumia 1020 Fit Into My Camera Bag?

Keep Out The Sun - Tehachapi, California
Yesterday I published my review of the Nokia Lumia 1020 camera. Yes, this is the cell phone with a 41 megapixel sensor and Carl Zeiss lens. Today I was asked where this camera fits in with all of my other equipment. Certainly I won't choose it over my other gear, right?

First, it fills a space not previously occupied by anything. The camera is a wide-angle fixed-lens compact digital camera. I did not previously own such a camera, unless you count the cell phone that this one replaced (I don't because of the huge gap in image quality between the two). This type of camera is great for street and travel photography because of the small size and weight.
Burnt Shack - Tehachapi, California
Instead of owning a Fuji X100S, Sigma DP1 Merrill, Ricoh GR, Nikon Coolpix A, or Sony RX1, I have the Nokia Lumia 1020. Is it as good as those cameras? No. But at low ISO it is (surprisingly) not that far off, either. Oh, and it was much, much, much cheaper.

Next, it easily fits into my pocket and doubles as my cell phone, so it is always with me. Maybe I left my other cameras at home. Maybe I brought along my other cameras but exhausted the batteries or filled the memory cards.
Boss Hog - Tehachapi, California
In many cases, the Lumia 1020 won't be the camera that I reach for first. But it does fill in nicely as a backup camera when I can't use my other equipment.

Third, every once in a while, I want or need to get a photograph to someone right away. With the Lumia 1020 I can literally e-mail an image within a few seconds of capturing it. Or I can upload it to Facebook or Flickr or text it or post it to this Blog. I can even post-process right on the camera. My other cameras cannot do that.
Hanging Barbed Wire - Stallion Springs, California
Lastly, the Lumia 1020 is easy and quick to use. Sometimes you just don't have time to dig out some other camera, perhaps change the lens, or maybe attach a flash. Sometimes the camera that's easiest to get an image exposed is the best. If you're fumbling around with gear, by the time you get everything set up, the decisive moment came and went.

So there most certainly is room in my (metaphoric) camera bag for the Nokia Lumia 1020, right along side my more expensive gear. I have no doubts that it will get plenty of use.
The Dormant Road - Tehachapi, California
With all of that said, it is important to mention that cameras don't matter. Photographic vision matters. Creativity matters. Making art matters. It really makes no difference what equipment you use.

Be careful of G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome), as well. If you think you need a certain camera or lens, you probably don't. Simplicity is better.
Early Spring Blossom #1 - Tehachapi, California

No comments:

Post a Comment