Sunday, March 16, 2014

Roesch Photography Blog Is Three Years Old!

Man At Shoshone Point - Grand Canyon, Arizona
A photograph of mine from the first year of this blog.
Wow. It's hard to believe, but the Roesch Photography Blog is three years old today. Time sure has flown by!

It all started with a short article that I wrote for a stock photography website. I wanted to post it somewhere more public, so I created this blog. You can see that first post by clicking here.

I didn't know anything about blogging, and I had no further plans for this blog. I had no direction or expectations. So it's amazing to me to see just how far things have come. I'm surprised not only by the number of visitors to this blog, but by where these people live. Thanks in part to Google Translate, my posts are literally read worldwide.
Summer Mow - Tehachapi, California
A photograph of mine from the second year of this blog.
Through the first three years, the top 10 most viewed posts are below:

#1: Thought of The Day: Nikon D7100 vs Pentax K-30 and Pentax K-5 II
This is short piece, published on March 14, 2013, that gave my opinion on the three cameras. "These posts are always popular," I typed, not realizing just how popular this one would be, "but I'd rather not write them, because cameras are not important."

#2 Thought of The Day: Sony NEX-7 or Nikon D3200
I published this post on April 26, 2012. I suggested that the D3200 was the better camera because of price and lenses. Funny thing is that since this post Sony has been all over the place with lenses, and now the NEX line has been discontinued.

#3 Review: Sigma DP2 Merrill
This product review was published on August 15, 2013. I've received a lot of positive responses from this post (in the comments section, on message boards, through e-mail, etc.).

#4 Review: Samsung NX200
I published this product review on March 30, 2012. The response to it was mixed, with one person stating that they'd like to punch me in the nose. Yikes!

#5 Thought of The Day: Canon Rebel T4i or Nikon D3200?
This short opinion piece was published on June 10, 2012. I wrote, "Either camera is perfectly capable of capturing great images in the hands of a skilled photographer. Your camera isn't nearly as important as you think it is."

#6 Review: Pentax K-30
Another product review, this one was published on October 16, 2012. "Don't worry too much about what equipment you have or don't have," I concluded. "Vision is what's important. Worry more about that and less about your camera."

#7 How To Make Your Own Neutral Density Filter
Interestingly, this is the only post in the top 10 that is not about cameras. It's still about equipment, but at least it is not about cameras.

#8 Thought of The Day: Sony NEX-7 or Nikon D800?
This is another rambling about cameras, published on February 26, 2012. If anything, it shows that two years ago people were scouring the internet for opinions on the NEX-7. Sony has since discontinued the NEX line.

#9 Thought of The Day: Sigma Merrill DP1 or Ricoh GR?
I wrote this short piece on July 12, 2013, while considering purchasing one of these two cameras. I ended up buying a Sigma DP2 Merrill instead, and I couldn't be happier with that decision.

#10 Thought of The Day: Nikon D600 or Pentax K-3?
I published this on October 11, 2013. I typed, "I'd rather not write posts about cameras, especially cameras that I don't own. I'd much rather write about vision, creativity, art and the decisive moment. Those things matter, cameras don't. But posts about equipment are popular. It's what people want to know."
On A Brighter Day - Tehachapi, California
A photograph of mine from the third year of this blog.
While those are the top 10 most viewed posts, they are certainly not the best posts. Below are my top 10 favorite posts through the first three years of this blog:

#1 Photographic Vision - What It Is And How To Get It
If there is only one post that anyone ever read on the Roesch Photography blog, I'd hope it to be this one. I published it on July 6, 2012, and pushed it as much as possible since.

#2 Creativity In Photography
This is a follow-up to Photographic Vision mentioned above. Some feedback I received indicated that the most difficult aspect of vision for many people is creativity. I published this on September 26, 2013.

#3 The Artist Photographer
I published this article on April 11, 2013. "The photographer is limited by his or here camera and whatever is by chance in front of it," I wrote. "The artist photographer has the freedom to create, and the limitations are eliminated."

#4 Photography Isn't Documenting. Photography Is Interpreting.
A similar post to The Artist Photographer posted on November 1, 2012.

#5 The Decisive Moment
I published this on March 6, 2013, which contains some great photographic wisdom from one of the great photographers.

#6 You Need Photographic Vision
An update to Photographic Vision, published on September 24, 2013.

#7 Important vs. Unimportant - What You Should And Shouldn't Worry About In Photography
This was posted on June 5, 2013. I wrote, "If people would spend the time and energy that they spend researching equipment and instead put that effort into figuring out what they want to create and how to create it, they'd be much better photographers."

#8 Convenience or Quality (Don't Waste Time Researching Cameras)
A similar post to Important vs Unimportant above, it was published on March 19, 2013.

#9 What Makes A Photograph Great
I published this on February 26, 2013. "Great photographs are clear and deliberate," I wrote. "Everything that is unnecessary to the photograph's intended communication is removed by the photographer. If it isn't important to the point of the image, it is not included in the frame."

#10 Things I Wasn't Taught In Photography School (Or, What I Wish Someone Had Told Me 15 Years Ago)
In this post, published on April 2, 2013, I wrote, "Forget the rules. Forget what camera or software you do or do not own. Learn how to be creative."

What makes the second top 10 list better than the first? Because if you were to read my top 10 favorite posts, you might actually improve your photography. There isn't a whole lot in the top 10 most popular posts that will do anything to make someone a better photographer. Better equipment never makes someone a better photographer.

To bring all of this to a close, I want to give a big thank you to the readers of this blog. Thank you for reading my ramblings. Thank you for viewing my photographs. If not for you, none of this would happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment