Monday, April 7, 2014

Follow Up Thoughts - Review: Samsung NX200

Summer Mow - Tehachapi, California
Captured using a Samsung NX200.
On March 30, 2012 I published my review of the Samsung NX200 camera. As of this writing, that post is the 4th most viewed article of all time on the Roesch Photography Blog.

I've had the Samsung NX200 off-and-on for over two years now. I say off-and-on because it was stolen from my car, many months later the police recovered it, and many months after that I was able to get it back for a small fee. My insurance replaced it with the very similar NX210, which I used in the meantime.
Sailboat Race - Oxnard, California
Captured using a Samsung NX200.
When I first got the NX200 it right away became my go-to camera. I really liked it. I used it all of the time.

The insurance company really hooked me up when my camera bag disappeared. One of the cameras they gave me was a Pentax K-30 DSLR. I liked it a little more than the NX210, so it became my go-to camera.
Window Rock - Big Sur, California
Captured using a Samsung NX200.
Then I got the stolen cameras back plus I had the cameras that the insurance bought to replace those stolen cameras. I had too many cameras. I sold the Pentax K-30, NX210, and a couple other unnecessary cameras and purchased a Sigma DP2 Merrill. I kept the NX200 and bought a 50mm-200mm zoom lens to go with it.

Since then, the DP2 Merrill has been my go-to camera, and the only time I use the NX200 is when I need a longer focal length. Depending on the situation, that can mean using it often or not at all. More often than not, it means not at all. I would say that over the last six months, only perhaps 5% of my total exposures were made using the NX200.
Steadfast Movement - Mojave, California
Captured using a Samsung NX200.
So what does all of this rambling mean? Has my opinion on this camera changed? I still like the Samsung NX200, and it is a fine camera. But the Sigma DP2 Merrill continues to blow me away, so I will continue to reach for it over the NX200.

However, that doesn't really mean anything. Vision and creativity are far more important than equipment. Whatever camera I use I can create great photographs with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment