Thursday, April 10, 2014

Follow Up Thoughts - Review: Sigma DP2 Merrill (DP2M)

Rock Behind Ice Plant - Morro Bay, California
On August 15, 2013 I published a post called Review: Sigma DP2 Merrill (DP2M). As of this writing, that article is the second most viewed post of all time on the Roesch Photography Blog.

I've actually written several follow ups to that post: Sigma DP2 Merrill Revisited, Sigma DP2 Merrill Low-Light Black & White Photography, Sigma Merrill Cameras - Digital Film?, Sigma DP2 Merrill Alternatives, Sigma DP2 Merrill vs. Nokia Lumia 1020, Sigma DP2 Merrill vs. Nokia Lumia 1020 - Part 2. What more could I possibly say?
Bixby Bridge Monochrome - Big Sur, California
The Sigma DP2 Merrill camera is quirky. It is not an "all-around" camera. It is far from perfect. However, if you can put up with its shortcomings, what you have is an absolutely great camera.

Most often it is a love-hate relationship. There are several things to despise the camera for. But then you see the images, and it is difficult to hold a grudge. I've heard several photographers say, "I hate the camera but I love the image quality."
Pismo Cliffs - Pismo Beach, California
I actually stopped using my DP2 Merrill for over a month. I chose other cameras instead. But I used it heavily on my recent trip up the California coast, and I just love the images that I created with this camera. And I had to ask myself, why the heck did I choose other cameras instead? The only answer that I could come up with is that I chose convenience over quality.

The bottom line with the Sigma DP2 Merrill is that it offers exceptional image quality for a reasonable price, but you have to be willing to accept its flaws or else you won't be happy with it. It is an amazing yet highly imperfect camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment