Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Photographing Junk - Finding Trash In The Desert

Magnavox - Rosamond, California
About a week ago I was out in the Mojave Desert near the town of Rosamond photographing a Joshua Tree. Right next to it somebody decided to discard their unwanted garbage. Clothes, toys, knickknacks, electronics--all sorts of junk was left to out in the hot sand.

I really hate when great landscapes are ruined by careless acts of people who illegally dump. It isn't that hard to dispose of trash the right way. There really is no excuse for this.
Unwanted Joy - Rosamond, California
This junk inspired me to take action with my camera. I encounter piles of trash out in nature all the time. It is quite common. This is a problem and people need to know about it.

Yes, there is beauty in everything, including junk. These photographs would look right at home in my abandonment series. However, the point of capturing them was simply to shed some light on a problem many may be unaware of.
Deserted Bear - Rosamond, California
I don't have a solution to this littering problem. It is already easy to responsibly discard one's trash. It seems like it is actually more difficult to dump the junk out in the desert than to do it the right way. It is certainly further out of one's way. I'm not finding the trash in convenient locations. It just doesn't make sense.

Perhaps if people become aware that dumping has consequences they may change their behavior. Maybe people just don't know that great landscapes are being destroyed by trash. Hopefully these photographs will inspire someone to not litter.
The Beauty of Trash - Rosamond, California
These photographs were captured using a Sigma DP2 Merrill camera. I post-processed them using Alien Skin Exposure 6 software.

The image below is what I was intending to capture. Many of the nearby trees had trash right by them, ruining potential photographs.
Dawn Joshua Tree - Rosamond, California

No comments:

Post a Comment