Saturday, July 5, 2014

Quickly & Easily Improve Photographs

A couple weeks ago I begun using Alien Skin's Exposure 6 photo editing software, and I've got to say that it is much better than I expected it to be. I'm working on a full review, so look for that in the coming days.

Post-processing can be a pain in the butt. It takes a lot of time to fiddle with photographs to get a certain look. Sometimes, no matter how much messing around I do with curves and layers, I'm not really satisfied with the end results because, while I got close, I didn't 100% achieve exactly the look that I was aiming for.

Exposure 6 changes that. With one click I get pretty darn close to what I'm aiming for, and a few clicks after that I've got it nailed down exactly. It is fast and simple. This software not only saves me time, but improves my images, as well. I get the look that I want without the fuss.

Below are some before-and-after photographs that demonstrate just how well Exposure works.
Stallion Springs Sunset - Stallion Springs, California
Original edit.
Stallion Springs Sunset - Stallion Springs, California
Exposure "Fuji Velvia 50" edit. The difference is pretty dramatic.
On A Brighter Day - Tehachapi, California
Original edit.
On A Brighter Day - Tehachapi, California
Exposure "Kodak Tri-X" edit. The differences are very subtle--most notable are the grain and tone. 
Soledad Mountain - Mojave, California
Original edit.
Soledad Mountain - Mojave, California
Exposure "Agfa Scala 200" edit. Again, grain and tone are the biggest differences. 
Energy - Tehachapi, California
Original edit.
Energy - Tehachapi, California
Exposure "Ilford Delta 3200" edit. Grain and contrast are significantly different, while tone is subtly different. This is the more dramatic version.
Tender Wheels - Barstow, California
Original edit.
Tender Wheels - Barstow, California
Exposure "Agfa APX 25" edit. While not dramatically different, this is noticeably the better version.

No comments:

Post a Comment