Thursday, August 28, 2014

If There Are Clouds, There Are Photographic Opportunities

Rays of Hope - Stallion Springs, California
I was looking through some of the photographs that I've captured but haven't shared here, and trying to find a common thread that would fit neatly into a post. I wasn't having any luck figuring out what the images have in common until I noticed that they all have clouds in the sky. In fact, clouds are a major element in each of them, except perhaps in the bottom photograph, where it is a bit less prominent (but it is still important to the overall picture).

Every cloud has a silver lining, so they say. In photography, that silver lining is increased interest in the sky. Cloudy skies are great for photography, especially landscapes.
Under The Weather - Tehachapi, California
"For me, the most memorable landscape photos almost always have a sky that is full of interest, and most often, that interest comes from clouds. Give me a weather forecast of mixed sun and cloud, and I am in photographic heaven." --Darwin Wiggett
I really love to photograph on days where there are clouds in the sky. It doesn't matter to me if it is a complete overcast sky or just of few wispy clouds--I can use clouds as photographic opportunities.
A Tehachapi Hill - Tehachapi, California
I live in California, which is known for endless sunshine. Pure blue skies are OK, but I much prefer blue skies and clouds mixed together. Thankfully, Tehachapi, California, which is where I call home, experiences a variety of weather, and clouds are not uncommon.

I used a Sigma DP2 Merrill to capture three of these images and a Nokia Lumia 1020 to capture the other. I won't say which was from the cell phone, but perhaps you can figure it out. Any guesses?
Wind Farm Motion - Mojave, California

No comments:

Post a Comment