Friday, August 22, 2014

My Favorite Abandonment Photographs, Part 2 - Monochrome

In Part One I shared my favorite color abandonment photographs. I'm much more excited for this post--Part Two--because I feel my strongest work within this series is in monochrome. If I were to create a Top 10 list of my favorite abandonment photographs, including both color and black-and-white, not one color image would make the list.

In my last post I did not mention what equipment was used to create the photographs. You might be surprised that a whole bunch of different cameras captured my abandonment photographs, including a Samsung Galaxy S, Nokia Lumia 1020, Samsung NX200, Samsung NX210, Pentax K-30, Sigma DP2 Merrill, and a couple of others. This proves that photographic vision is far more important than camera choices.

The purpose of this post is to help me better understand what photographs I like and why I like them. I'm self-critiquing them, trying to figure out what makes them good. Hopefully this will help me create even better images moving forward.

I came up with 132 monochrome abandonment photographs that I thought were good. I narrow that down to 51, and thought about just removing one and posting 50 images, but I decided instead to cut it down to 40.

Below are my 40 favorite monochrome abandonment photographs. Feel free to leave feedback in the comments section at the bottom of this post. Enjoy!
On A Brighter Day - Tehachapi, California
Abandoned Bathroom - Rosamond, California
A Light In The Dark - Tehachapi, California
Window Shadow - Victorville, California
Destroyed By Fire - Victorville, California
Cinder Blocks - Victorville, California
Forgotten Faucet - Tehachapi, California
Old Plumbing - Mojave, California
Broken Hallway - Mojave, California
Escape - Boron, California
Unused Outlet - Boron, California
Burnt Hallway - Boron, California
Three Eaves - Rosamond, California
Bolt, Burnt - Rosamond, California
Knob - Mojave, California
Shadows of Abandonment - Mojave, California
Abandoned Homestead - Tehachapi, California
Hole In The Wall - Tehachapi, California
Home Love - Cuddy Valley, California
Stack of Mattresses - Cuddy Valley, California
Old Pool Debris - Cuddy Valley, California
Unused Bed - Hinkley, California
Industry Deserted - Mojave, California
Twisted Home - Mojave, California
Tired Old Purse - Mojave, California
Collapsed Roof - Mojave, California
Abandoned Boles-Aero Trailer - Mojave, California
Uninhabited Window - Mojave, California
Underside Design - Mojave, California
Deserted Desert View - Mojave, California
Tumbledown Window - Mojave, California
Web of Neglect - Mojave, California
The Sound of Silence - Mojave, California
Old Coffee Cup - Mojave, California
Copy Machine - Mojave, California
VIP - Newberry Springs, California
Peerless - Newberry Springs, California
Broken Souls - Newberry Springs, California
Mems Poe - Newberry Springs, California
Waterpark - Newberry Springs, California

No comments:

Post a Comment