Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Why The Nikon D3300? Why Not The D3200 or D5300?

I mentioned on Sunday that I purchased a Nikon D3300 DSLR. The most common response I've received is, "Why?" Some have wondered why I would buy the D3300 when the almost identical D3200 can be had for less. Others have wondered why I'd be interested in an entry-level "beginner's" DSLR and not the "better" D5300.

Why did I choose the D3300 over the D3200? Because the D3300 is superior, even if slightly. The biggest difference for me is that Nikon removed the anti-aliasing filter on the D3300. In case you don't know what that filter does, it blurs the image slightly to prevent moire pattern distortion. By removing the filter the camera produces sharper images (just so long as the lens that is attached to the camera is sharp).

It is true that the D3200 can typically be found for less money than the D3300 because it is last year's model. However, I was able to get a great deal on a brand-new D3300 that made it just as inexpensive as the D3200.

Why did I choose the D3300 over the D5300? After all, the D5300 is a better camera, isn't it? In a previous post I briefly compared the D3300, D5300 and D7100. I summarized that comparison by stating the following:
"The way that I see these three cameras is like a car. They are the same make and model car, but different trim levels. The D3300 is the base trim, the D5300 is the nicely equipped mid-level trim, and the D7100 is the well-equipped luxury trim. But they are all the same model and will accomplish the exact same thing. It is a matter of how much you want to spend and how many extras you think you need."
That analogy has some flaws. The D7100 is the previous year's luxury trim and not the current year because there is no luxury trim for the current year. Besides that, the cameras don't necessarily look the same. The sensors are not even the same (and, in fact, the D3200 and the D3300 have different sensors), but based on image quality you would not know that the sensors are different. Blah-blah-blah.

Anyway, it isn't so complicated. The D3300 is a camera that performs much higher than its "entry level" title. I got it for a really good price. That is why.

No comments:

Post a Comment