Friday, August 29, 2014

Why So Many Cameras?

Moon Over Desert Sunrise - Mojave, California
Captured using a Pentax K-x.
I'm in the process of getting rid of my cameras and lenses and getting new ones. It might surprise some that I've already sold my Sigma DP2 Merrill.

As I've told people what I'm doing, there are two questions that I gets asked. How are you able to afford all of these different cameras and lenses? Why don't you just stick with one camera? The questions are, essentially, how and why.

I first got into digital photography about four-and-a-half years ago, when I purchased a Pentax K-x. I had done film photography for a decade before this, but digital is a whole different thing. I paid about $650 for that camera plus three lenses. Two years after that I purchased a Samsung NX200 with one lens for about $650. So over a two year period I spent $1,300 on cameras and lenses.
Summer Mow - Tehachapi, California
Captured using a Samsung NX200.
I only had the Samsung NX200 for six months when my camera bag, which had that camera and the Pentax K-x and all of my lenses in it, was stolen out of my car at a hotel in Scottsdale, Arizona. Everything was gone! Thankfully, my homeowners insurance covered the loss and they really hooked me up.

As it turns out I had a "replace new" policy, and pretty much everything in my camera bag was out-of-date, including the six-month-old NX200. The insurance company replaced the K-x with a Pentax K-30 and the NX200 with a Samsung NX210. I used the money they would have spent on two new lenses to cover the deductible.

Several months later my stolen camera equipment was recovered when the thief tried to sell them at a pawn shop. I had to wait until the police no longer needed the "evidence" and then I was able to buy back my old equipment for next to nothing.
Trees In The Morning Mountains - Tehachapi, California
Captured using a Pentax K-30.
I then sold the Pentax K-30 and Samsung NX210 and used the money to buy a Sigma DP2 Merrill, a new lens for the NX200, and to cover the cost of buying back my stolen equipment.

Now it is a year later and I'm starting over, selling my digital cameras and lenses, and using that money to buy a new camera and lenses. I'm pushing reset on my camera bag.

In four-and-a-half years, with all of those different cameras and lenses, I've only spent $1,300. I haven't spent anything in the last two-and-a-half years. That is the how.
Forgotten Faucet - Tehachapi, California
Captured using a Samsung NX210.
Now to the why. Why have I changed cameras so many times?

Well, for starters, I write the Roesch Photography Blog, and the vast majority of people who visit this blog are looking for information on cameras. The more cameras that I get my hands on, the more articles I publish and the more product reviews I write, the more people visit this blog.

Another reason is that digital technology changes quickly. Each year digital cameras become both better and cheaper. An entry level DSLR, such as the Nikon D3200, is better in almost every way than a professional DSLR from a decade ago. The Pentax K-x was considered a decent camera when I bought it. Now it is considered subpar.
On A Brighter Day - Tehachapi, California
Captured using a Sigma DP2 Merrill.
Also, as I become more experienced, I have increasingly higher standards for my own art. It is true that any camera is good enough if the photographer is also good enough, but it is also true that I notice little things in my own images that most won't notice. The standards for my own work has increased, and I need equipment that can deliver on those higher standards.

Now the Sigma DP2 Merrill does, in fact, deliver on those higher standards, but it is also quirky, slow and lacks versatility. I decided that it was time to find something that has similar image quality to the DP2 Merrill, but without the negative side effects. I think that I have found it. And it did not cost me any out-of-pocket money.

I'll keep you posted as my new equipment arrives. In the meantime I still have my Nokia Lumia 1020.

No comments:

Post a Comment