Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Photography Commentary: Why Do I Do This?

Light Rays - Stallion Springs, California
I've been asked more times than I can remember: "Why do you do this?" Sometimes the question is about the Roesch Photography Blog. Sometimes it is about my personal photography. Often the question is in regards to both.

Why do I do this? That's a tough question to answer. I usually give some quick surface response and move on. It can be difficult to dig deep and truly understand the reasons.

Someday I'd like to become a rich and famous photographer. Just like someday I'd like to win the lotto. The odds are so incredibly slim of either of those happening. So that's not it.
On A Brighter Day - Tehachapi, California
Making money is nice, even if I'm not rich or famous. That's true, but I don't make a whole lot of anything as a photographer or as a blogger. Yes, I earn a little, but it is just a little. If all of this was for the money I would have abandoned it a long time ago. That's not to say that money isn't a motivation (because it is), but just that it is not at the top of the list.

My photography and blog posts help other photographers. People find helpful advice and inspiration from what I do. I published a post called Things I Wasn't Taught In Photography School back in April of last year. I've had several people since then tell me that was an important post for them to read. Same for my articles on photographic vision.

There have been plenty of people that have helped me along the way. Most of them don't even know who I am. I hope that I can pass along something of value to others--even strangers--just as some have passed it along to me. I want to be a positive participant in the photography continuum. This is a big reason why I do this, but it is not the biggest reason (not even close).
Abandoned Boles-Aero Trailer - Mojave, California
The main reason that I carry around a camera and take time out of my busy day to blog is for myself. I do this for me.

Photography is a big stress relief for me. To say that I enjoy it is an understatement. I feel as though it is an extension of me. I am able to express things through images that I'd have a difficult time doing through words. It is a view of my mind and of my life. Photography is my journal.

I kind of feel like I was meant to photograph, almost as if it is a part of my purpose in life. In a way, photography gives me both pleasure and purpose. That may seem strange, but it is a deep-rooted feeling that I'm not really sure I can fully explain.

Blogging about photography is an extension of the art. It gives me a platform to share what I create. I also learn a lot by typing. Often my posts may seem like they are for others, when they are actually meant for me.

Why do I do this? It is not for fame, money or to please others (although there are some of those elements found in my motivations). I do this because, deep down inside, I need to. That's why.

No comments:

Post a Comment