Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Why I Sold My Sigma DP2 Merrill

Web of Neglect - Mojave, California
Captured using a Sigma DP2 Merrill.
I mentioned not long ago that I sold my Sigma DP2 Merrill camera. A question that I've been asked several times now: Why?

I've mentioned over and over that the Sigma Merrill cameras can produce exceptional image quality. These cameras are capable of producing stunning photographs. Why, then, would I part ways with mine?

There are two reasons: speed and versatility.
There Is No Life In This Place - Lancaster, California
This is the very last photograph that I captured using the Sigma DP2 Merrill.
It is well known that the DP2 Merrill isn't the fastest camera in the world, but that doesn't bother me much. I can live with that. What I can no longer live with is the speed of Sigma's software. It takes forever to convert RAW files to TIFFs. Unfortunately, because of the uniqueness of the RAW files, you must use's Sigma's slow software. And because Sigma's JPEGs aren't great (especially above ISO 200), you must use RAW. This has slowed down my workflow by an incredible amount. I've lost so much time that I could have used for other (more important) things. No more!

By versatility, I'm specifically talking about high ISO performance. The camera is not meant for low-light situations, unless you're using a tripod and photographing a stationary object. There have been times that I really wanted to capture a photograph, but the camera's limitations got in the way.

Anyway, I think I've found a budget-friendly alternative (more about this in the coming weeks, so stay tuned). I may be able to get image quality pretty darn close to that of the DP2 Merrill, but without the limitations (and without breaking the bank). Technology changes quickly, becoming both better and cheaper all of the time, and this whole thing is made possible by that.

I was a bit sad to part ways with the camera, but I think this will prove to be a move well worth it.

2 comments:

  1. Intriguing article. And it's whetted my curiosity. So does there indeed exist a 'budget-friendly' alternative to the IQ if the DP2 Merrill? And if so....what could it possibly be? I'm more than a little curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Within the next couple of weeks I'll have a post explaining this, so stay tuned. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete