Friday, October 3, 2014

Playing With Macro - Nikkor 40mm AF-S f/2.8G DX Micro

Purple Thistle Blossom Macro - Stallion Springs, California
I had ordered a Nikkor 40mm AF-S f/2.8G DX Micro lens and, after a week of waiting, it arrived in the mail. I was excited to put this lens on my Nikon D3300 and see what it can do.

This lens is a normal prime lens (about 60mm equivalent focal length in full-frame terms), but it also doubles as a macro lens. It has a minimum focus distance of about two inches from the end of the lens. 
Sharp - Stallion Springs, California
I found right away things in and near my home to photograph. The images in this post are my first macro attempts with this lens. I immediately discovered that lighting and depth-of-field are a challenge. The aperture needs to be small in order to get the depth-of-field necessary, which requires bright light. Dim light means that the depth-of-field will be extremely slim. That may be good sometimes, but probably not often.

Anyway, look for a full review of this lens in the coming weeks. Until then, enjoy the photographs!
Poppy Blossom Macro - Stallion Springs, California
Denny's - Stallion Springs, California
Cracked Fruit Abstract - Stallion Springs, California
Camera In The Eye - Stallion Springs, California

No comments:

Post a Comment