Sunday, November 16, 2014

A Post About Nothing Has Value (Google Searches)

Flo's V8 Cafe - Anaheim, California
ISO 1400, f5, 1/125, 40mm.
When you don't post for a few day on Blogger, Google forgets that you exist.

Google has a complex system to determine what pages are important and which ones are not. When you do an internet search they want relevant pages to come up first.

Well, the first web pages that come up are often purchased. Businesses pay Google money to be the first few to be displayed.

After that, Google tries to have the most relevant websites displayed first and the least relevant sites last. They have developed a complex (and ever changing) system to figure out what is relevant and what is not.

For articles published on Blogger, a large part of Google's equation is how active the blog is. If you don't publish something for a couple of days, Google thinks that the blog is inactive.

For example, I spent several days at Disneyland, so I haven't published anything for six days. The amount of traffic that comes to the Roesch Photography Blog via Google searches has dropped about 20% since my last post was published.

What Google has been doing is displaying my posts further and further down whenever someone searches about photography (or whatever else). The majority of web surfers will not go beyond the first page of displayed search results, Some will go to page two if they don't see what they're looking for on the first page, but most will simply redefine their search criteria (word it in a different way). It's a very small percentage that will go beyond the first two pages of search results.

The further down the list your page is, the less likely that web surfers will find it.

A post like this, which is about absolutely nothing, has value because it shows Google that I'm still here. I haven't died or given up. I simply took a short vacation. Because I published this, Google will display my other pages further up in search results, and more people will visit my blog.

Over the coming week be sure to look for posts about my trip to Disneyland.

No comments:

Post a Comment