Thursday, January 29, 2015

Thoughts On Published Photographs (Sigma DP2 Merrill, Nikon D3300 & Nokia Lumia 1020)

1956 Chevy Bel Air At Cameron's Dairy - Tehachapi, California
This photograph was recently published in a magazine and was captured using a Nikon D3300.
I've had 14 photographs published over the last two (January and February) issues of Urban Explorer Magazine. That's pretty cool.

I was thinking about these images and the cameras used to capture them. That led to a few thoughts.

Nine of the 14 photographs were captured using a Sigma DP2 Merrill camera, four were captured using a Nikon D3300 DSLR, and one was captured using a Nokia Lumia 1020. There are some things to take away from this.

The Sigma camera was my primary camera for just over one year. The camera produces amazing image quality at low ISO, but isn't particularly great outside of that. Sigma's software, which you have to use with this camera, is horrendously slow. I got rid of my DP2 Merrill because I didn't want to put up with these limitations any longer.

Looking at the nine photographs captured with the camera I can see why I did put up with the limitations and snail-pace. The DP2 Merrill, in the right situations, is a fantastic photography tool.

I replaced the Sigma camera with the Nikon D3300 about five months ago. I'm able to get image quality near that of the Sigma at low ISO, but I no longer have the limitations and slow workflow that came with the Sigma. The D3300 has shown to be a good replacement.

A lot of people are surprised by that. After all, the DP2 Merrill is often compared to full-frame cameras and even medium-format cameras, while the D3300 is the least-inexpensive DSLR available (excluding older models that can still be found new). Yet the D3300 holds its own very well.

Perhaps the biggest surprise (for some, anyway) is that the Nokia Lumia 1020 produced an image worthy of publication. This isn't a shock to me, though. The camera found on this cell phone is pretty good. Not quite as good as the DP2 Merrill or D3300, but not all that far behind, either.

The takeaway here is that you don't have to have expensive gear to create successful images. Cameras that others might scoff at are actually very capable photography tools.

No comments:

Post a Comment