Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Cloud Photography

Lenticular Sunset - Cantil, California
In my post 25 Photography Subject Ideas To Get You Out of That Rut I suggested photographing clouds. Now clouds are often featured in photographs, but I don't see a lot of photographs that are just of clouds and nothing else.

I've thought many times that a potentially interesting project would be to photograph clouds--the sky would be the subject. That's something I haven't really seen done, at least not to the extent that it deserves.

A couple of weeks ago I was returning from a photography adventure when the sky turned amazing. The colors became brilliant and the lighting revealed some great design in a couple of lenticular clouds. I pulled my car over and captured the photograph at the top of this post. I didn't even leave the car. I simply rolled down my window and opened the shutter.

As quickly as the sky turned great it returned to "normal" (uninteresting). If I hadn't been watching the sky, if I didn't have a camera with me ready to go, and if I wasn't decisive, I would have missed capturing the image. Always be prepared, and don't be afraid to be unconventional.

No comments:

Post a Comment