Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Nikon D3300 Battery Life

Rock Behind Ice Plant - Morro Bay, California
This was captured last year.
I just got back from a weekend trip to Morro Bay, Cambria and San Simeon along California's central coast. The trip was really great. It was like a shorter version of last year's Pacific Coast Highway adventure. I'll post the photographs once they're finished.

The only camera I brought along was a Nikon D3300 DSLR. It's great because it is small and lightweight for a DSLR, yet it really delivers on image quality.

I also brought along a Nikkor 40mm AF-S DX f/2.8G Micro lens (which was used 95% of the time) and a Nikkor 55-200mm AF-S DX f4-5.6G ED lens. The 40mm lens was attached to the camera, and that set up comfortably fit into the middle console of my car. The 55-200mm lens sat in a little bag (that came with the lens) and it also fit into the car's middle console.

The camera was comfortable around my neck since it isn't too big or heavy. The 55-200mm lens fit into my jacket pocket--often, though, I left that lens in the car and just took the 40mm lens that was already attached to the camera.
Zebras Below The Castle - San Simeon, California
This was also captured last year.
That's the entirety of the photographic equipment that I brought along with me. I didn't even bring a spare battery or the battery charger. I wanted to keep things as simple as possible. Less is more.

I exposed over 600 frames on this trip. I still had some battery life left when I got home. In fact, I probably could have exposed another 100 frames before exhausting the battery. That's really great! That allowed me to take less gear with me.

I didn't have to worry about changing or storing batteries. I didn't have to worry about forgetting the battery charger in the hotel. I only had to "worry" about grabbing the camera on the way out of the car. I can't tell you how great that is compared to how previous trips (with previous cameras) have gone.

The D3300 and its exceptional battery life allowed me to "get away with" not bringing an extra battery or even the battery charger. I had one camera and two lenses (and I could have left one of those lenses at home and been perfectly happy). Simplicity is better. It certainly is more enjoyable.

1 comment:

  1. I just got back from a weekend trip to Morro Bay, Cambria and San Simeon along California's central coast. The trip was really great. It was like a shorter version of last year's Pacific Coast Highway adventure. I'll post the photographs once they're finished. 800% battery

    ReplyDelete