Friday, April 17, 2015

Changes To The Website

I've been playing around with my new website, which I completed less than a week ago, and discovered some good points and bad points about some different features. Nothing major, mostly just little things.

Originally I had the galleries set up as slideshows. I liked the simplicity of it. I appreciated that viewers didn't have to do anything--the photographs changed automatically every five seconds.

But there are a few drawbacks to the slideshow format. First, when one clicks on a photograph on the homepage, instead of taking the person straight to that image, it takes them to the slideshow (starting with the first image in the gallery, not the image that was clicked on). Second, links shared to a specific photograph (like what I did on a post on my "other" blog) takes viewers to the slideshow and not to the specific image. Finally, there's a web-store interface that's a little more user friendly that's not available with the slideshow format.

So today I changed four (of the six) galleries to a thumbnail format. I don't think it looks quite as nice or clean or simple as the slideshow format, but it doesn't have those drawbacks that I just mentioned.

One can still very easily view the galleries as a slideshow. Simply click where it says "SLIDESHOW" above the images. Or when you click on an image (it becomes larger on your screen), click the "play" arrow at the bottom-left.

I'm not 100% sure that I'm going to stick with this new look for the galleries or try something else (or perhaps go back to the slideshow format). I'll see how it goes for now.

Click here to see how I created the website and information on how you can create your very own website.

No comments:

Post a Comment