Thursday, April 9, 2015

Your Style Is More Important Than Your Gear (Nokia Lumia 1020, Samsung NX210 & Nikon D3200)

Energy - Tehachapi, California
I'm working on an online portfolio (actually it's much more than that, and I'm hoping that I can announce it here within the next few days), and something stood out to me. My photographs look like my photographs (my family calls them "Ritchie Pictures"), no matter what gear was used to capture them.

Having your own unique style, which I call photographic vision, is much more important than gear. If you have your own unique style, no matter what gear you use your images are going to look like your images.
Surfers - Avila Beach, California
How do you develop your own unique style? It takes time and practice, but most importantly it requires vision. If you develop your vision you will simultaneously develop your own unique photographic style.

The three photographs you see in this post will be a part of the portfolio that I'm working on. They were captured using different cameras, including a Nokia Lumia 1020, Samsung NX210, and Nikon D3200. Cheap "kit" zoom lenses were used on the Samsung and Nikon cameras. I won't say which images are from which cameras, because it doesn't matter.
Imminent Change - Stallion Springs, California
This is a very tiny sampling of all of the images that will be in my online portfolios, and all sorts of other gear was used, as well. Many were captured using a Sigma DP2 Merrill and a Nikon D3300 (and a prime lens was often used). There are a few images that were captured using a FED 5c Russian rangefinder and film.

My point is that they all look like my photographs. Zoom lens or prime? Cheap camera or expensive? Digital or film? It doesn't matter. They all fit in with each other and you wouldn't know the difference unless I told you.

Worry more about what's important in photography and less about what's not. Don't have camera envy. Use what you have to the best of your ability and you'll realize that cameras don't matter nearly as much as you've been told.

No comments:

Post a Comment