Tuesday, May 26, 2015

5 Travel Photography Thoughts

Barstow - Barstow, California
This photograph doesn't have anything to do with this post other than I passed through Barstow on my road trip and this was the last time (prior to the trip) that I shot film.
You may have noticed that I didn't post anything on the Roesch Photography Blog last week. That's because I was on the road. This wasn't a photography trip (although I did manage to do some photography here and there), but preparation for future relocation.

This family travel was to Salt Lake City, Utah. I'd never been to Salt Lake City before, so it was quite interesting. We also had two nights in Las Vegas. Overall it was a good trip, despite all three kids getting sick (and by sick, I mean sick).

Below are five thoughts on photography that occurred to me after this road trip.

1. I hate camera bags. They're bulky, get in the way, and take time to open and close and organize. This trip was the first time in a while that I'd brought with me an actual camera bag, and I regretted that decision the whole trip. When you're traveling, it's much better to travel as light as absolutely possible.

2. The Nikon D3300 has such a long battery life that I didn't charge it at all on this trip. I left with a fully charged battery and came home with a nearly exhausted battery. The charger stayed in the camera bag the entire trip. I guess I should have left it at home.

3. I brought along two lenses for the D3300: a Nikkor 40mm AF-S DX f/2.8G Micro and a Nikkor 55-200mm AF-S DX f/4-5.6G ED. The 40mm lens is my primary lens for this camera and I use it 90% or more of the time. However, on this trip the 55-200mm lens got the bulk of the load. Because of that, instead of using the camera in aperture priority mode, I found myself using shutter priority mode more than ever before.

4. A FED 5c rangefinder camera was occasionally used. It's the first time in nearly a year that I've shot with a film camera. As excited as I was to use film again, this was not the trip to do it. The FED 5c, especially, was not a good idea because it's so big and heavy.

5. In retrospect, I should have brought the D3300 with the 55-200mm lens attached to the front and left everything else at home. Less is more in travel photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment