Friday, June 26, 2015

Get 8 Free Custom-Made Alien Skin Exposure 7 Film Presets!



If you've been following the Roesch Photography Blog, you'll know that I've been using Alien Skin's Exposure software to edit my images. All of my photographs captured over the last 15 months or so have been post-processed using Exposure. I even went back through some of my favorite "older" images and re-edited them with the software. Over the last six months, since the release of Exposure 7, I've used Alien Skin's product almost exclusively to post-process my photographs.

Exposure is a photo editing software that does film emulation. The folks at Alien Skin have carefully studied all sorts of different films--color and black-and-white, older and newer, negatives, transparencies and instant--and made presets that, with one click, will make a digital image look like it had been captured with that film. They've emulated hundreds of different films and darkroom processes. And, based on my own personal experiences using film, they've nailed the presets.

But even if you are not 100% satisfied with a preset, it's all customizable. You can change presets or create your own. You can adjust each preset to customize it to the image being edited. You don't even have to use a preset as photographs can be edited freehand.
Yosemite Falls From Curry Village - Yosemite National Park, California
I used the Kodak Ektachrome 100SW preset for this photograph.
What I like about Exposure is that I achieve the look I want quickly and accurately. My workflow has sped up significantly since using the software and I'm more satisfied with the results. I've tried many other post-processing software options, and I have not found one that I liked nearly as much as I like Exposure. It's well worth the investment. It can be used in conjunction with Photoshop or Lightroom, or (as I use it) as a stand-alone program. It even does RAW conversion, although not every camera is supported. 

Back in the days of film, you loaded your camera with whatever film you thought would give you the desired look. Maybe you picked Kodachrome 64, or Velvia 50, or Tri-X or whatever--each film had it's own certain look, so film choice was critical to the look of the image. Now you can choose that look during post-processing. It's the freedom to "change film" after each exposure. And the reason you want your digital images to look like film is because film looks organic and digital looks, well, digitized--film simply looks better than digital in my opinion.

While Alien Skin has included in Exposure more film presets than you will likely ever use--tons and tons of them--there are some films that they've not yet developed (pun intended). But, if you are feeling up to it, you can create a film preset yourself. You can even create film looks that have never actually existed. There is a lot of room for creativity.
Tree In The Meadow - Yosemite National Park, California
I used the Ilford Delta 400 Pushed 1 Stop preset for this image.
I've created eight film presets for Exposure 7 that I'd like to share with you. These were designed using my own personal experiences with film photography; however, in the end, they are more-or-less "best guesses" at what the film should look like. I don't have the resources to do the precision work that Alien Skin does, but, perhaps, they will include their own (more accurate) versions of these in a future release.

I know that these presets will work in Exposure 7 for Windows. I'm not certain if they will work in older versions of the software or even the Mac version. You could certainly try it and see (please, if you do, let me know in the comments if it works). But for Alien Skin Exposure 7 for Windows, I know that these will work.

Click the link below for the film you want. In the new tab or window that opens, click the down-arrow (with the line under it) in the top-center of the page. That will download the preset to your computer. Once downloaded, right click and copy the file. Go to Window's C drive, then click to open the file ProgramData, then click to open the file Alien Skin, then click to open the file Exposure 7, and then click to open the file Exposure. Right click and paste the preset into the Exposure file.

Update: Someone told me that for Mac computers, the folders are HD, Library, Application Support, Alien Skin, Exposure 7, and finally Exposure. 
Holga 35mm North Dome & Washington Column - Yosemite National Park, California
I used the Holga 35mm Kodak T-Max 100 preset for this photograph.


This is similar to Ilford Delta 100, except more grainy and a tad more contrasty. Back in the days that I shot film, this was my favorite low-light monochrome film. It will show up under B&W Film.

Ilford Delta 400 Pushed 1 Stop

As you might guess, this has a little more grain and contrast than the non-pushed version. It will show up under B&W Film.

Holga Ilford Delta 400

Vignette and blur added to simulate the look of a Holga camera. This will show up under B&W Lo-Fi.

Holga 35mm Kodak T-Max 100

This simulates the look of using Kodak T-Max 100 35mm film in a Holga camera. This will show up under B&W Lo-Fi.

Agfacolor Neu Expired

I've never used Agfacolor Neu film before, but I imagined what it might look like if I developed an expired roll of it. It will show up under Color Fade.

Polaroid Summer Feelin'

This is based on a Polaroid 600 preset, but with a bunch of fun modifications. It will show up under Color Polaroid.

Kodak Gold 200 Tampered

There is a photographer who gives their Kodak Gold film a bath in water, salt and laundry soap prior to development. The result is a purple hue. I tried to match the look with this preset. It will show up under Color Film.

Kodak Ektachrome 100SW

Ektachrome 100SW was one of my favorite slide films. It's vibrant, but not quite as saturated as 100VS. It's also noticeably warmer. I think I got a pretty good match with this one. It will show up under Color Slides.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ritchie!

    Just randomly fell onto your Blog, Great stuff!
    Definitely will be following!

    Just wanted to say thank you for these amazing presets, I have not used exposure since version 3, I'm a die hard LR user but the last CC version is too buggy for my current work flow, so I am back down to version 5 for now.

    This morning I installed Exposure 7 and WOW! and now double Wow! the fun with these presets you are sharing!

    This will be lots of fun for family pics!

    Thank You!

    Nuyoka.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting! Glad you found my blog and like what you've seen. I hope you find the presets useful! --Ritchie Roesch

      Delete