Tuesday, June 16, 2015

I Bought A New Lens... Let Me Explain....

I've been simplifying my camera bag for some time now. I've been downsizing, getting rid of gear that's rarely used--stuff that does more dust-collecting than photo-capturing. I've been going lighter and smaller.

The pinnacle of gear acquisition for me came about three years ago when I had two DSLRs, two compact interchangeable-lens digital cameras, six film cameras, and a whole bunch of lenses and accessories.

I realized that this was ridiculous, and, if anything, was getting in the way of my photography. Less is more with gear. Most of my cameras were doing nothing but collecting dust.

So ever since then I've been downsizing and simplifying. I've got it down to one DSLR, a Nikon D3300, with two lenses, a Nikkor 40mm AF-S DX f/2.8G Micro (which is used the majority of the time) and a Nikkor 55-200mm AF-S DX f/4.5-5.6G ED. I also have a Nokia Lumia 1020 which gives me a wide-angle option. I kept three film cameras that are very rarely used. I think that's a versatile kit that pretty much covers all of my needs.

But very recently I found the need to have one more lens. The Lumia 1020 does a fine job providing me a wide-angle option, but it has its limitations--specifically, dynamic range and high-ISO. For the photographs that I'm going to create, I need a larger dynamic range and better high-ISO performance than the Lumia 1020 can provide. But I need to shoot wide-angle.

The D3300 has the dynamic range and high-ISO capabilities that I need, but I don't have a wide-angle lens. When I purchased the camera I bought it (from Japan) as "body only" because I didn't want the kit lens--I figured that I'd never use it and it would just collect dust. I was wrong, because I do need it.

So I purchased a Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II lens (factory refurbished) for $70 (including tax and shipping). This lens will get the job done, and, even though it is cheap, the lens is more than "good enough" for what I need it for.

I almost went with the Sigma 18-55mm f/2.8-4.5 DC OS HSM instead, but I couldn't justify spending almost three times the money for something that's only marginally better and won't get used all that often.

The new lens will arrive on Thursday, so once I have an opportunity to use it I'll post a full review here. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment