Tuesday, June 9, 2015

The Story of A Photograph: Dusting Snow On Cummings Mountain

Dusting Snow On Cummings Mountain - Stallion Springs, California
Nikon D3300, ISO 100, f5, 1/800, 130mm, Nikkor 55-200mm AF-S DX f/4-5.6G ED.
I have a couple thousand exposures sitting on my computer waiting to be post-processed. I'm aware of most of them. Sometimes I stumble across some files that I completely forgot about. Dusting Snow On Cummings Mountain was one of those.

It was captured on Christmas Day, December 25th, 2014, at 2:18 pm. It looks like it was captured around sunset. That's because it was overcast, and the clouds cleared very briefly over Cummings Mountain, exposing the snowy peak to sunlight while the rest of the mountain remained in shadow. I added a subtle warm/reddish tint to the image to further the illusion. Photography is a lie, so I have the freedom to make the image how I want it to look.

You may be wondering what I was doing out photographing on Christmas Day. This image was actually captured from my front yard. What you cannot see is my roofline and the telephone lines that are just out of the frame. Photography is about subtraction--less is more.

No comments:

Post a Comment